Ski and Snowboard Levels
Granite Gorge Ski and Snowboard Levels
- Level 1: You have never skied before.
- Level 2: You have skied before and can stop in a wedge.
- Level 3: You can stop and can make controlled linked wedge turns on green terrain.
- Level 4: You are beginning to match your skis at the end of each turn. You are comfortable on green terrain. You have ridden a chair lift.
- Level 5: You are matching your skis early in each turn. You ski green and blue terrain. You are beginning to use poles for timing. Level 6: You are developing parallel turns and ski mostly blue terrain. You can change the edges of your skis at the same time without a wedge. You can use a pole touch to time and steady your turns.
- Level 7: You have upper and lower body separation; you can swing and touch your pole to the snow to start each turn. You are comfortable making open parallel turns with a pole plant on blue terrain and some black terrain.
- Level 8: You can do short radius turns with your lower body and torso facing downhill continuously. You can do short radius turns with a solid pole plant. You can ski with controlled, consistent parallel turns on blue and most black terrain.
- Level 9: You can roll onto an early edge and hold the edge throughout the entire turn, leaving a track in the snow. You can make strong, controlled, linked parallel turns on black runs in a variety of conditions.
- Level 1: You have never snowboarded before.
- Level 2: You can maneuver with one foot and can slip on both heel-side and toe-side edges.
- Level 3: You can perform a skidded traverse in both directions, starting to turn and can stop.
- Level 4: You can turn in both directions with speed control and are working on linking turns. You have ridden a lift.
- Level 5: You are linking skidded turns with good speed control and shape, and are seeking more challenging terrain.
- Level 6: You can perform linked turns on most blue terrain in varying sizes with good speed control, under good conditions, and are beginning to carve turns.
- Level 7: You are comfortable on all blue terrain under good conditions. You are working on carved turns and seeking more challenging terrain.
- Level 8: You can perform carved turns and are refining technique in all snow conditions and terrain.
- Level 9: You can ride all terrain comfortably on the entire mountain with confidence and ease, working on the fine points of efficiency and exploring the extremes of riding